- One academic year (August to the next year July, about 11 month)
- Contracts may be renewed for the next academic year subject to agreements between teachers and schools
All applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the application:
1. A native speaker of English from United States, Canada, England, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Ireland, or other countries where English is an official language
2. A bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university, with the exception of degrees having half or more of the courses completed online or through distance learning/correspondence
3. A qualified teacher
4. Committed to abiding by the laws and regulations of Taiwan
5. Competent in interpersonal communication skills
6. Understanding of, and respectful toward the local culture
7. Willing to teach in rural areas
Remunerations and Other Benefits
Round-trip air tickets; airfare reimbursement up to NT$40,000 (≒US$1,300) one-way, per teacher/spouse or one lineal blood relative
NT$5,000 (≒US$160) per month for a single person; NT$10,000 (≒US$330) per month if living with spouse or one lineal blood relative
Health Care Benefits:
Health insurance and labor insurance
Monthly Salary ( Depending on teaching experience):
- Holders of doctoral degrees: NT$ 73,025~91,420
- Holders of master’s degrees: NT$ 69,965~86,820
- Holders of bachelor’s degrees: NT$ 62,720~78,045
*The salary rate is based on teacher’s highest education level and amount of teaching experience. The amount of teacher’s teaching experience only includes the year(s) he/she has taught at a public government school within or outside of the R.O.C. or a registered private school in the R.O.C. Less than one year or a practicum period will not be considered.
Teachers who have taught for 12 months, whose annual performance are graded A, are each given an extra month’s pay as bonus; those whose performance are graded B, are each given an extra 1/2 month’s pay as bonus.
Leaves, holidays and vacations
About 40 hours a week, (8 hours a day, 5 days a week) From Monday to Friday.
* Please note that benefits and the working hours listed above are subject to applicable laws, regulations, and related provisions of the contract signed between teachers and schools.
- Living Costs: Total expenses could be as little as NT$15,000 for a single, more realistic to expect NT$20,000~30,000 per month.
- Transportation: In Taiwan, it is easy to reach everywhere by local train. Many towns have a local train stop that will allow you to travel between towns and cities. Also, The High Speed Rail (HSR) is served on the west Taiwan, which runs on its own track from Taipei to Kaohsiung, independent from local trains. However, in some towns, people usually ride the bicycle, scooter and drive a car in the daily life. Bus is also available in some county.
Application Process for Teaching in Taiwan Program
Education Administration, Ministry of Education
Division of Junior High, Elementary School and Preschool Education
Section of Curriculum and Teaching
Sandy Liu | Project Manager
MOE Foreign English Teacher Project
Alicia Huang | Project Assistant
Address: 1F., No.1, Yunhe St., Da’an Dist., Taipei City, Taiwan (R.O.C.)10646