- One academic year (August to the next year July, about 11 month)
- Contracts may be renewed for the next academic year subject to agreements between teachers and schools
(1) English native speaker
(2) Bachelor’s degree or above*
(3) Teaching certificate*
(4) No criminal record
*Foreigners to be hired for teaching work at a public or registered private high or primary school should acquire formal degrees in colleges or universities either in this country or overseas that are recognized by the authority concerned at the central government level as well as the teaching qualification for the subjects they will be teaching.
Remunerations and Other Benefits
Round-trip air tickets; airfare reimbursement up to NT$40,000 (≒US$1,300)/one-way/per teacher/one family member
NT$5,000 for single per month(≒US$160); NT$10,000 for family per month($330).
Health Care Benefits:
Health insurance and labor insurance
Monthly Salary ( Depending on teaching experience):
- Holders of doctoral degrees: NT$ 73,025~91,420
- Holders of master’s degrees: NT$ 69,965~86,820
- Holders of bachelor’s degrees: NT$ 62,720~78,045
*The salary rate is based on teacher’s highest education level and amount of teaching experience. The amount of teacher’s teaching experience only includes the year(s) he/she has taught at a public government school within or outside of the R.O.C. or a registered private school in the R.O.C. Less than one year or a practicum period will not be considered.
Teachers who have taught for 12 months, whose annual performance are graded A, are each given an extra month’s pay as bonus; those whose performance are graded B, are each given an extra 1/2 month’s pay as bonus.
Leaves, holidays and vacations
About 40 hours a week, (8 hours a day, 5 days a week) From Monday to Friday.
* Please note that benefits and the working hours listed above are subject to applicable laws, regulations, and related provisions of the contract signed between teachers and schools.
- Living Costs: Total expenses could be as little as NT$15,000 for a single, more realistic to expect NT$20,000~30,000 per month.
- Transportation: In Taiwan, it is easy to reach everywhere by local train. Many towns have a local train stop that will allow you to travel between towns and cities. Also, The High Speed Rail (HSR) is served on the west Taiwan, which runs on its own track from Taipei to Kaohsiung, independent from local trains. However, in some towns, people usually ride the bicycle, scooter and drive a car in the daily life. Bus is also available in some county.
Application Process for Teaching in Taiwan Program
Education Administration, Ministry of Education
Division of Junior High, Elementary School and Preschool Education
Section of Curriculum and Teaching
Lilian Huang | Project Manager
MOE Foreign English Teacher Project
Alicia Huang | Project Assistant
Address: 1F., No.1, Yunhe St., Da’an Dist., Taipei City, Taiwan (R.O.C.)10646